Re: [cp-patches] Re: Help needed to persuade apaches about the Classpath

From: Geir Magnusson Jr.
Subject: Re: [cp-patches] Re: Help needed to persuade apaches about the Classpath license: Maven does not deal with CORBA, just uses OpenEJB.
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 04:53:54 -0400

On Aug 11, 2005, at 3:44 PM, Dalibor Topic wrote:

Meskauskas Audrius wrote:

Building Geronimo and analyzing its source code revealed that this large
application does not use CORBA directly at all. All CORBA uses,
including references to the proprietary com.sun.corba package, come from
the OpenEJB project (http://openejb.codehaus.org). It seems to be a
completely independent project. If I am not mistaken, to replace Sun
CORBA completely by Trifork donation, Geronimo should keep and maintain
they own version of OpenEJB.

No - we work closely w/ OpenEJB and will just work with them accordingly.

I will try to talk with OpenEJB, but from the downloaded source code I
see that OpenEJB needs org.omg.PortableInterceptor, the last missing
CORBA package. Completing the interceptor is the first thing I should do.

Thanks for looking into it, Audrius. I've played a bit today with
building (and *not* running the tests at all) geronimo 1.0 M4 on kaffe's
CVS head ... it doesn't fully build yet :( 20-30 out of 70 build steps
complete, and then some bug in kaffe's native zip code strikes. Using
Classpath's zip gave me some sort of a busy hang (much earlier in the
build process). :(

There are a few necessary steps to repeat the build, and a few patches
to go into geronimo and classpath. I'll clean my resulting patches
(RMIClassLoader & javax.imageio missing methods, as well as removal of
sun-specific code from geronimo) up and send them to geronimo & check my
classpath fixes in here. I hope that I'll get that zip bug squished
eventually, but don't count on it just yet :)

Our intention is to get rid of the sun-specific code ASAP. We don't really want it there, but wanted to get over the "all tests pass" hump. We're focused on getting it out of there for M5.

The good news are that maven 1.0.2 works fine on latest GNU
Classpath/Kaffe, updating plugins works, download of plugins functions
well, too, the jelly scripts function, and so on.

what I did pretty much boils down to

grab maven 1.0.2
grab geronimo1.0 m4 sources
grab kaffe cvs head & configure make install it.
ln -s $kaffe/jre/lib/tools.jar $kaffe/lib/tools.jar for maven to detect
tools.jar (even though there is nothing in there it can use, but
forehead seems to want it, desperately, or it trows it arms desperately
in the air and refuses to cooperate)
set $java_home to wherever you installed kaffe
use maven to run maven
use maven to update all the plugins out there
mkdir $kaffe/share/kaffe (useless empty directory, needed to convince
ant 1.5.3 to cooperate with kaffe cvs head)
cd into geronimo source
maven --debug -Dmaven.test.skip=true >& build.log

the build will break due to a few missing methods that I've got patches
for, I am cleaning them up and documenting them. and later the build
will break due to Sun-isms in Geronimo::System goal, fixes for which
should be later tonight in the geronimo jira.

cheers,
dalibor topic

address@hidden