cons-discuss

deprecating features: -wf, Repository_Sig_Times_OK?

From: Steven Knight
Subject: deprecating features: -wf, Repository_Sig_Times_OK?
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 19:40:00 -0500 (CDT)

Is anyone out there actively using the Cons -wf option, or the
Repository_Sig_Times_OK feature?

A while ago, someone on the list suggested a -w option to warn about
deprecated features.  Great idea; it would give us a mechanism for
smoother feature transitions.  But it conflicts with the -wf option
(write all "considered" file names into a file).

-wf happens to be the only multi-character option that takes an
argument, which contradicts good *NIX command-line conventions. -wf also
doesn't really do anything that -d doesn't do, except that it writes the
list to a separate file, not intermixed with the build output.

I propose at least renaming -wf to some other single-character option,
so that we can use -w for warnings.  If no one is really relying on the
separate file list, maybe we could even get rid of it entirely...?  How
badly would that mess up anyone?

Repository_Sig_Times_OK was a bad solution for problem specific to my
build environment when the Repository functionality was first being
developed.  It tells Cons to ignore the time stamps in any .consign
files in a Repository directory.  I doubt that anyone is using it, and
I'd suggest just getting rid of it.  Any objections?

        --SK