demexp-dev

Re: [Demexp-dev] Succesful compilation of DemExp under Win32/Cygwin

From: GISQUET Christophe
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] Succesful compilation of DemExp under Win32/Cygwin
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 22:54:37 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, David MENTRE wrote:
Thank you for your suggestion about the /tmp issue. Until know, I was
assuming a Unix system. You just raised the bar. :) I'll try to
investigate about the issue and fix it.

I confirmed this is the cause of the error. Plus it should allow the application to run (the error is really fatal). So, unless I mixed things, it seems that changing "/tmp/" to, for instance, "C:\\" fixes the executiong. For some reason, it must look for a Cygwin install folder, as renaming mine to C:\Dev\_cygwin would cause the same problem as for all win32 users that tried the installer so far.

Regarding your other comments about xml & co, well, I've not looked much at your notes. :-]

I'll still keep on reporting ;)
(all the more since my replies really aim at informing interested users on this list) I just managed to build libxml2 and use it under Cygwin. This introduces the following changes for dlls:
cygz -> libz1
cygicon2 -> iconv
cygxml2-2 -> libxml2 (with some hackery I've added to the notes)

The first 2 must /not/ be stripped... I've stripped so far the DemExp exe (from 3.1MB to 1.7MB) but maybe this would make crash reports more cryptic for you, so I haven't stripped it for the new installer (same place as in first mail). However, there must be a slight compiling difference as the libxml2.dll packaged in the GTK+ 2.0 installer is incompatible (app won't run with it)

If the full installer works for some people, could they also try installing:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-win/gtk%2B-2.4.14-setup.zip?download
and the standalone DemExp installer at:
http://christophe.gisquet.free.fr/DemExp-standalone-0.3.exe
and see if it runs (it doesn't here, but my system is at fault for not finding dlls that are in the path).

Best regards,
--
Christophe GISQUET
Hello! This is a signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature