Re: [DotGNU]Re: A matter of immediate attention

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: A matter of immediate attention
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 04:16:42 -0400

The FSF will take the official position of supporting both Mono and DotGNU. DotGNU will of course be part of GNU. Will Mono? Will it be simply part of GNOME? I do not know these answers. Our position is and should be that we will cooperate with this Ximian initiated "GNOME" project if and where we can, and I say this both publically and privately.

David

address@hidden wrote:

The conclusion that was reached is that DotGNU will
be, perhaps in a press release on Monday, as one of
two FSF endorsed projects that the free software
community will undertake in response to .net.

David, I think we are the only ones officially part of GNU. Miguel's press release said nothing about GNU, but I need to check with RMS to be completely sure.

DotGNU certainly can (and if everyone here wishes it
to, will) become a (series of) GNU packages

I think breaking the projects down into 10-20 projects allows more people to be involved as leaders and this is a very good thing for efficiency. I talked to RMS about this and he liked it very much.
tony