Re: [DotGNU]Microsoft & Mono

From: Kent Nguyen
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Microsoft & Mono
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 14:27:55 +0000

On Monday 16 July 2001 13:42, Jeremy Petzold wrote:
> Whoa!!!
> Calm down everyone, Ximian is smarter than that to let MS, a known
> offender, use them for it own perposes. I bet the MS doesn't even realise
> what we could do.
>
> I got an E-Mail form Miguel De Icaza in responce to a question that I sent
> to the ximain mono developers mailing list. He seems interested in working
> with us so as not to double each others efforts, I invited him to the
> developers Mailing list to ask any questions after he has read our site. so
> expect to see him around.
>
> -Jeremy

Corel deja vu all over again.  Since the start of Microsoft investment in
Corel, the support from Corel for Wine went from very good to none.

Although .NET is a target to kill Sun, more specifically Java.  There is a
concern, once Microsoft leverage enough momentum in the Linux community, they
will start to kill off Linux as well.  And dominate the world of web services.

The problem I'm seeing is, there is no need for CRL (Common Runtime
Language).  Java is very good for cross platform server-side programming.
You write once, run anywhere.  There's a component model in Java.  The only
thing Java need left is an open standard for Inter Component Communication
... something like XML-RPC.  Beside C# is so much like Java, you can even
call it Java.

Take for example C# uses "using", Java uses "import".  C# uses the same
syntax and semantic as Java.  Microsoft markets the idea of "automatic
garabage collection."  But the JVM (Java Virtual Machine) already does that.

--kent