Re: [DotGNU]Microsoft & Mono

From: Kent Nguyen
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Microsoft & Mono
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 15:21:54 +0000

On Monday 16 July 2001 15:09, you wrote:
> for ximian, as far as i can tell there is no evidence of microsoft
> helping them, merely "informal talks". this, in my opinion, is merely
> taking the spotlight off the real danger: microsoft passport.
>
> the xp release in the us proved that people arent comfortable with the
> passport idea yet. distracting consumers is their goal. and to do this
> *can* potentially even give away some real help. but so what if you "run
> officeXP on linux". it will still connect to a passport before it will run.

Microsoft already holds 92% of the desktop market.  They pretty much is
apathetic if it doesn't run Office on Linux.

In my previous email titled "The purpose of .NET", I asked what is Microsoft
after.  I guess it's time for me to answer the question.

Apache enjoys 63% of the web server maket share.  What Microsoft want is this
market.  They want to dominate this market by increasing it to 92% like  they
did with the desktop market.  The way to do it, is to port .NET to Linux and
BSD.  Most apache webserver runs on Linux, Solaris, and/or BSD.  What Mono is
doing is playing right into Microsoft hands and helping Microsoft achieve
that goal.

What I'm confused is why is Ximian all of a sudden focus on "server-side"
market.  I thought they are writing software for the desktop.

--kent