Fwd: Re: [DotGNU]Microsoft & Mono

From: Kent Nguyen
Subject: Fwd: Re: [DotGNU]Microsoft & Mono
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 16:08:55 +0000

Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Microsoft & Mono
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 16:06:00 +0000
From: Kent Nguyen <address@hidden>
To: Soeren Sandmann <address@hidden>

> The CIL/CRL is technically superior to Java.  Saying otherwise is just
> MS-bashing.  Here are some points where CIL/CRL is technically better:
>
>         - Stack allocated types.  In Java, record types are always
>           heap allocated

Stack allocated types are OS dependent.  You can use JNI to do it.

>         - Unmanaged code.  In CIL/CRL it is possible to run unmanaged
>           code.  This makes it possible to run C on the platform. (But
>           not with garbage collection or typesafety).  JVM does not
>           have this conecept.

What the heck is unmanaged code, you mean I can mix and match PHP, Python,
Bash, and C into a program.  This is one way to make your code look dirty.
Java is clean.

>         - Managed pointers.  It is possible to have a pointer to a
>           field of an object.  In java, the only pointers are object
>           references.

JNI again.  This is one of thing that will make security a concern running
CRL.

>         - Native sized integers.  CRL/CIL has both integers of a fixed
>           size and integers of native size.  Java only have integers
>           of fixed size.

The beauty of cross platform is you need to abstract the idea from all the
platform.  If you want native size integers, you use JNI.

> Politically, CIL/CRL has been submitted to ECMA for standardization,
> while Sun on the contrary is sitting tight on the Java specs.  Of
> course, MS has a track record of embracing and extending things.  They
> can do this with CIL/CRL as well; this is most likely the greatest
> danger with it (aside from Passport, which as I understand it doesn't
> really need a virtual machine to work).

Ok this is a plus.  Sun is collecting money for EJB use.

--kent