Re: [DotGNU]Re: Support Java for .GNU

From: Martin Coxall
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: Support Java for .GNU
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:43:23 +0100

> > Java is encumbered by Sun's licensing. It would be a *very* bad move to
> > use it as the core of Arch.
>
> Hi.
>
> May I be so bold to say: we don't need Mono.

Fair enough. Design something new. CLEAN ROOM. Java is unclean. Encumbered.
Proprietary. It would be immoral to use it and a fundamental betrayal of the
principles of the Free Software movement. It would be a tremendous corruption
of all that the GNU project stands for to even consider using Java.

I only suggest Mono because it is the only other alternative we have at
present. *Open* standard. Free, unencumbered.

---
Martin
---

"Where laughing and smiling are not allowed"