Savannah [was Re: [DotGNU]source code & sourceforge]

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Savannah [was Re: [DotGNU]source code & sourceforge]
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 10:34:42 +0200

Jeremy Petzold <address@hidden> wrote:

> we don't have CVS set up yet, and the only code so far is hear
> this is a test deamon writen by David Sugar in common C++

Yes, that is correct.

Besides that, DotGNU is a "meta-project" in the sense that the
purpose of the mailing lists at dotgnu.org is not directly to create
source code, but rather to create and coordinate between 10 and
20 software development projects that will create the actual code.

Each of these software development projects will have its own
mailing lists, CVS repository, bug-tracking system etc at
Savannah.

Savannah can be found at http://savannah.gnu.org

The main reason for choosing Savannah for these projects (and
not for example Sourceforge) is that part of the vision for
DotGNU is that it should be a tightly integrated part of the
Free Software Foundation's GNU system.

There are a lot of other reasons why Savannah is a good choice,
and very worthwhile to consider also for other software
development projects.  I plan to talk more about these things in
an official announcement that should be ready sometime next
week.

The reason why this official announcements will take some time
to produce is that I want to coordinate it both with
FreeDevelopers (which is the main driving force behind the
launch of the DotGNU project) and also with the Free Software
Foundation (which is the driving force behing the GNU project).

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Norbert Bollow, Weidlistr.18, CH-8624 Gruet  (near Zurich, Switzerland)
Your own domain with all your Mailman lists: $15/month http://cisto.com