Re: Savannah [was Re: [DotGNU]source code & sourceforge]

From: Bradley M. Kuhn
Subject: Re: Savannah [was Re: [DotGNU]source code & sourceforge]
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:56:20 -0400

I liked very much what Norbert said about Savannah, and I look forward to
the announcement.

However, I did have one comment.

Norbert Bollow <address@hidden> wrote:

> Besides that, DotGNU is a "meta-project" in the sense that the purpose
> of the mailing lists at dotgnu.org is not directly to create source
> code, but rather to create and coordinate between 10 and 20 software
> development projects that will create the actual code.

meta-projects, coordination efforts, documentation, and the like
(including the dotgnu.org mailing lists) can certainly be hosted on
Savannah, too.  In fact, I would very much like to see things consolidated
at Savannah.

Norbert did an excellent job at getting things going on dotgnu.org, and
wasn't able to use Savannah at first, because DotGNU hadn't been endorsed
as an official GNU project.

I hope Norbert will decide to centralize everything around Savannah, so
that we have "one stop shopping" for all the development efforts and
coordination.  I think this will make things easier in the long run.

Of course, it's up to all of you; we can certainly simply forward the
address@hidden to address@hidden for all the lists.  But, I
think centralization would help out.

I look forward to Norbert's statement.

--
Bradley M. Kuhn, Vice President
Free Software Foundation     |  Phone: +1-617-542-5942