Re: [DotGNU]Web Services

From: Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r)
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Web Services
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:38:43 -0700

John wrote:

> A component for Apache would have slightly tighter binding legally than
> a service over NT. We're not compatible with Microsoft's license
> obviously, but as Microsoft's license for NT does not currently dictate
> the license of services written for NT, we are safe from license
> affliction.

Also, there is nothing saying that this has to be written as an Apache
module. It can be written to run as cgi and nothing in the Apache
license would have any hold over a stand alone executable.

> Can anyone point to a module written for Apache that is licensed under
> the GPL?

PHP3 is license under the GPL

> I'm asking where we draw the line on support to non-compatible licenses.
> There's a three level support in the original post. Synchronize the two
> lists:
>
> 1) Write the service into Apache under their license.
> 2) Provide libraries and an API under our license. Let others write the
> service on their side by using our library under LGPL.
> 3) Simply publish the protocol and let them code their own solution to
> those protocols.
>
> Note, the question is limited in re to the subject of the original post,
> which is do we, and how do we, compete with ASP.NET/IIS.

Why does competing with ASP.NET = an Apache module?
As I mentioned, it can be run fine as a cgi script if there really was
some license problem, which I dontthink exists in the first place. I
will read the Apache license tomorrow to be sure, but I would fine it
surprising if a module must be under the AL.

Seek3r