Re: [DotGNU]Web Services

From: Charles Iliya Krempeaux
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Web Services
Date: 26 Jul 2001 13:04:12 -0700

Hello,

On 26 Jul 2001 13:21:33 -0400, Barry Fitzgerald wrote:
> I tend to agree that we should maintain control.  If we're just heading
> in the direction of creating a spec, well, that won't achieve our
> strategic goals.
>
> I'm still bouncing some of this scenario around in my head, I've been
> thinking about it lately, though.
>
> My general belief is that we should support multiple angles of attack.
> Meaning that we should make it easy for developers to implement dotGNU
> components and interface with dotGNU servers with little to no changes
> to their current infrastructure.  However, to achieve our strategic
> goals, we need to leverage some change to the infrastructure in the form
> of providing a dotGNU API/spec collection.  I don't know much about
> apache modules, off hand, but there has to be a way to write an
> interface for GPL'ed apache modules to be run through Apache.

PHP3 was GPL'd, and it linked with Apache fine.  (I'm not sure
if the reasoning for the linking being legal was that the
user made the link, or not.)

Also, you could always install another web server and just run
it under a different port.

> I don't
> think that this is difficult, per-se.  At the very least, we write a
> minimal AL/BSD licensed wrapper module that simply references to the GNU
> GPL'ed dotGNU API - if we have to take a non-GNU GPL route to achieve
> this goal.
>
> However, there's something else to consider:
>
> .Net will also focus on implementing these services within general
> software as well, this is where the API comes into play.  While we're
> attacking the webservices aspect of hailstorm, we should be ready to
> attack the application side as well.

matterial <http://matterial.sf.net/> will support DotGNU.  (What
I'm helping add to DotGNU is from my work on matterial.)

> Therefore, we shouldn't rely too
> heavily on browser and webserver plugins.  In fact, we should bow these
> out in support of the API as much as we can.

See ya

     Charles Iliya Krempeaux