[DotGNU]web services

From: miGlanz
Subject: [DotGNU]web services
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 17:03:52 +0200

Hello

  I've done scheme which represents my vision of web services.
  What do you think about this?

  Please view with fixed-width font.

+-------------------+/  HTTP Request                 +--------+
| Web Server        |--------------------------------| ANY    |
| (Apache ?)        |\  http://server.com/services/  | Client |
|                   |   service.ext?DoSomething      |        |
|                   |                               \|        |
|                   |--------------------------------|        |
|                   |    Return results to client   /|        |
|                   |    in XML form: |              |        |
+-------------------+                \|/             +--------+
  |            /|\              +----------------------+
  |             |               |Something like:       |
  |Invoke       |               |                      |
  |function     |And return     |<?xml version="1.0"?> |
  |DoSomething()|to client this:|<string>              |
  |             |               |I've done something   |
  |             |               |</string>             |
  |             |               +----------------------+
  |             |
  |             |         +-------------------------------------+
  |             |         | Something like:                     |
  |             |         |                                     |
  |             |         | webservice function DoSomething()   |
 \|/            |         | {                                   |
 +-------------------+    |     return "I've done something";   |
 | mod_dotgnu        |    | }                                   |
 +--------+----------+    |                                     |
          |               | or wrapper to existing Web Service  |
          |               | compiled to bytecode, which can be  |
         \|/              | also executed on user's PC:         |
 +-------------------+    |                                     |
 |service.ext        |----| webservice function DoSomething()   |
 +-------------------+    | {                                   |
                          |     return WebService.DoSomething();|

If it's not readable just tell me, I've got also PNG version of it
(6KB).
Of course this is just my vision, and it isn't perfect. It's mostly
based on .NET's webservices. I don't know what is your vision of
implementig web services on DotGNU, so tell me.

--
Kamil Klimkiewicz