Re: [DotGNU]Uncovering Rotor -- A Shared Source CLI

From: Bill Lance
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Uncovering Rotor -- A Shared Source CLI
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 07:07:06 -0800 (PST)

--- David Sugar <address@hidden> wrote:

> They believe they do not have to put such a clause
> in.  From what I recall
> of so called "shared source", no freedom is given to
> modify the original
> sources in any way, let alone distribute
> modifications.

Here's a cut from thier FAQ about licensing:

"The license for this source code will be available at
the time of first public release. Microsoft intends to
provide very liberal non-commercial licensing terms
and is interested in gathering community input on the
design of the license. In particular, we intend to
make it very easy for people to create non-commercial
derivatives for exploration and experimentation, and
for teaching purposes. We also intend to permit
commercial use of this implementation as a guide for
people building their own CLI implementations, for
personal use, and for debugging purposes. Anyone
expecting to use this implementation as the basis for
distributing a commercial product would need to
negotiate a license for this purpose with Microsoft."

  However, a more
> humorous hack might be to indirectly modify the
> sources thru inserting a
> compile time --include file which redefines/maps BSD
> functions and clib
> calls to match Linux and glibc, and perhaps write
> some small glue library
> to link with for those calls that cannot be directly
> matched up.

Sounds like even that wouldn't be necessary.  They
have a PAL thing, an OS level abstraction layer that
would just have to be compiled on linix to make the
rest run.  But you can't do anything of consequence
with it if you do.