Re: [DotGNU]Uncovering Rotor -- A Shared Source CLI

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Uncovering Rotor -- A Shared Source CLI
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 08:42:41 +1000

David Sugar wrote:

> However, a more
> humorous hack might be to indirectly modify the sources thru inserting a
> compile time --include file which redefines/maps BSD functions and clib
> calls to match Linux and glibc, and perhaps write some small glue library
> to link with for those calls that cannot be directly matched up.

I like it. :-)  Basically, create a private copy of libc that
implements BSD semantics for system calls and the like
where there is a difference with Linux, and then just re-link.

Hell, there may be enough "BSD libc on Linux" code lying
around already to make this work.

Still, *we* probably can't do this, because we would still
have to get access to Microsoft's code to compile and
re-link it.  We want to avoid any possibility of being
accused of "bleed over" into the pnet code.

Of course, the most hilarious outcome would be that MS
gets so beaten up over the Shared Source license that they
relent and use BSD or X11 instead.  Then any GPL'ed
system can pick up the code, fork it, integrate it into
the GPL'ed system, and then re-license the combined
work under the GPL. :-)