Re: [DotGNU]Open Source's Dot-Net Less Open

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Open Source's Dot-Net Less Open
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 10:48:00 -0500

This analysis also applies to Bill's recent message about
Microsoft's P2P project, FarSite.  Bill puts out the very
credible analysis that Microsoft is planning to drub out P2P
stuff with a patent portfolio.  I  point out that Microsoft
can also rationally choose to do this sort of thing not to
kill P2P, but to establish precedent for content control in
the P2P context -- which translates into a steady toll
stream to sell to the content control interests.  This
dovetails very nicely with their patent on a DRM OS.  I see
their work with the W3C as geared towards trying to build
content control in the standards.

--

[CC] Counter-copyright:
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/cc/cc.html