Re: [DotGNU]Open Source's Dot-Net Less Open

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Open Source's Dot-Net Less Open
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 17:56:33 -0500

It's an "anticipatory intimation."  LOL

The corporate interests that leaned on Miguel, didn't have
to be explicit about any aspirations they have to build a
content control infrastructure -- only to appeal to a
certain "open source pragmatism" to get the GPL out of that
picture.

The GPL emphasis on transparency goes against the aspiration
to offer a toll stream, via content control, to the
"content" industries.  I'm not speaking strictly
technically, about whether you can link to a library or
conform with an open standard -- the point has more to do
with establishing market power and rationalizing "IP" law,
after which consumer pragmatism takes over, buttressed by
certain illusory moral imperatives having to do with
authorship.

I won't call this just intuition -- I have a lot of
confidence in the idea -- but describing it is difficult.
How did I do?  LOL

Seth Johnson

--

[CC] Counter-copyright: