Re: [DotGNU]Call for a truce over mono vs pnet

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Call for a truce over mono vs pnet
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 18:06:40 +1000

Adam Treat wrote:

> >At some point in the future, we must heal the rift
> >between the projects and find some way to co-operate
> >in a useful, mutually-beneficial, manner.  Sniping at
> >each other makes it harder to reach that point.
>
> Personally, I would like to see cscc compile mcs.  How would that be for
> 'healing the rift'.  Once this is done, Mono's compiler will be 'clean' of
> all Microsoft cruft.  Any idea how far we are away from this?

About as far as we are from compiling pnetlib.  i.e. Real
Soon Now.  Once it compiles pnetlib, compiling mcs should
drop out the bottom as a freebie.

However, I have always had a problem with the attitude
that pnet exists to bootstrap mono, and then mono doesn't
need pnet any more after that.

Whatever we do to heal the rift must be mutually beneficial.
How is it beneficial for DotGNU to do a huge amount of
work solely for the purpose of being thrown away afterwards?

My position on co-operation has always been this: we
must mutually pick something substantial that Mono will
NOT do, and DotGNU will do that.  But while the Mono
community views pnet as little more than as a bootstrapping
tool to be picked clean for ideas, we have a problem.  That's
disrespectful to all the hard work that I've put in.

Make a realistic and respectful offer on co-operation,
and we can begin to move forward from the current
stalemate.