Re: [DotGNU]Call for a truce over mono vs pnet

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Call for a truce over mono vs pnet
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 22:35:36 +1000

Paolo Molaro wrote:

> > Make a realistic and respectful offer on co-operation,
> > and we can begin to move forward from the current
> > stalemate.
>
> I already made an offer yesterday, let's make it again:
> we (mono developers) will help you bootstrap your corlib so DotGNU
> doesn't have to rely anymore on microsoft software. You'll likely
> increase a lot your developer base, because they'll be able to compile
> your core C# library on free systems.

If you want to do that, I won't stand in your way.  It
shouldn't be hard to hack the configure.in to recognise
mcs and slot it into the pnetlib build.

However, pnet's C# compiler should be pnetlib-capable
in a few more weeks, so we aren't that far away from
compiling on free systems anyway.

It's basically the mono bootstrap problem in reverse:
why do we need mcs after we bootstrap pnetlib with
pnet's cscc?

I don't see how being able to compile each other's stack
is really working together to break the stalemate.  That's
just debugging.  The duplication of effort is the problem:
that is what we must change.

The question is this: what is Mono willing to give up to
co-operate with DotGNU?  i.e. what major component
will you stop building, and use pnet's instead?  If the
answer is "nothing", then we aren't making progress
to resolve this.