Re: [DotGNU]Call for a truce over mono vs pnet

From: Adam Treat
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Call for a truce over mono vs pnet
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 01:11:07 -0800

Rhys,

I don't mean to imply that cscc is _only_ good for bootstrapping mono, and I
know that you've put in a tremendous amount of work into pnet.  I am grateful
that there are talented individuals like yourself that are willing to
sacrifice your time for the good of the community.

As far as after cscc can compile mcs;  I will undoubtedly use both compilers.
 cscc when speed is king, and mcs when embedded in other tools, such as an
IDE.  I think there are places for both pnet and mono toolchains in the
community.  If nothing else, they provide a valuable counter-example to
eachother and some good old-fashioned competition.

About the 'mutually-beneficial' part;  Not sure how Mono can ever repay pnet
when the time comes to compile mcs with cscc...  The toolchains, should reuse
code when beneficial and re-implement when necessary or desirable.  I think
DotGNU has the login-platform all to itself though.  IMHO,  the Mono project
would gladly look for leadership on this from the DotGNU community.

Finally, I don't think the Mono developers view you or pnet as 'little more
than as a bootstrapping tool to be picked clean for ideas'.  Pnet is an
alternative implementation with many of the same goals, but also with
different design ideals.  Frankly, I think more people would code for Pnet
but for the fact that coding in c# is soooooo nice.  That is after all what
we are working for here.  Just know that you have taken the harder road.
Many of us recognize this and applaud your efforts.

--Adam