Re: [Vrs-development] Re: [DotGNU]pnetlib and the VRS, SEE and other ser

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] Re: [DotGNU]pnetlib and the VRS, SEE and other server concepts
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 18:28:16 +0100

Bill Lance <address@hidden> wrote:

> How do we see dotGNU interacting with the
> MS world in the future?

I think that...

- SEE needs to run on all major desktop platforms
- if we do any browser plugins, they need to be available for all major
  browsers on all major desktop platforms
- apart from that DotGNU needs to interact with non-GNU
  platforms only via standard protocols such as HTML via HTTP,
  XML-RPC, SOAP, etc., for which it does not matter what is at
  the other end.

In particular, I think it's good enough when things like VRS and
DEE work on GNU systems.  It's still good practice to code as
portably as you reasonably can, and if someone wants to
contribute support for other systems it's good to accept that as
long as the quality of your application (when used on GNU
systems) doesn't suffer.  But I would recommend that you don't
worry too much about getting VRS to work on MS systems,
especially since you said that you're not very familiar with them.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A founder of the http://DotGNU.org project and Steering Committee member
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com