Re: [DotGNU]pnetlib and the VRS, SEE and other server concepts

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]pnetlib and the VRS, SEE and other server concepts
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 18:54:29 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Paolo Molaro wrote:

> I guess we should coordinate were to put the assemblies. mono
> currently puts them all in $prefix/lib, but I'd like to put at least
> corlib and the other assemblies that depend on the mono runtime
> in $prefix/lib/mono or $prefix/share/mono. I guess assemblies that can
> be used both with the mono and pnet runtime can stay in lib or
> (better) in share/assemblies so that each runtime can find the
> assemblies installed by the other.

I would suggest runtime-specific assemblies to be placed into
$prefix/lib/[mono,pnet] ... Since these assemblies make up libraries, I
think it would be more appropriate to place them in $prefix/lib on a
historical and Filesystem Heirarchy Standard basis.  There is some (loose)
precedent for having compiler specific libraries in the lib tree.

On the other hand, $prefix could be undefined, in which case the target
would be /lib -- which would sort of violate the FHS, since that
precedent exists in /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib respectively.  This would
make $prefix/share/[package] more appropriate.  However, share is
technically for static data (word files, background pictures, event noise
files, etc) which the libraries obviously don't exactly fall into that
category. :)

It's a tough choice.  So, since these are libraries, putting them in
$prefix/lib seems more appropriate to me.  Default $prefix to /usr or
/usr/local (standard practice) and if the user sets $prefix to undefined,
that's their parogative.

Sorry for the fhs aside, but directory systems are an interest of mine. :)
(Bet you thought you'd never hear someone say that -- err, type it.)

        -Barry