Re: [DotGNU]New addendum for MS redistributables

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]New addendum for MS redistributables
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 15:37:00 -0500

I am curious what they provide and/or define fully as "Redistributables", other than the obvious sample applications, in VS.NET. It seems to refer to the core SDK and stuff that might be likely to be used or inserted into generated applications, such as perhaps might occur with projects initiated thru their so called "wizards".

Norbert Bollow wrote:

Brandon Bremen <address@hidden> wrote:

 Open Source wrote:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnnetdep/html/addendeula.asp

wow. So what does this updated license mean for us?

Besides being just another confirmation that Microsoft realizes
that open source hackers (*) have significant skills in making
software (that was meant to run on MS Windows systems only) run
on free systems, I think it means little for DotGNU directly, as
we have no intention to redistribute, or encourage the use of
any such "Redistributables" from Microsoft.

(What Microsoft wants to disallow is their runtime being bundled
with something like WINE and then being used to the effect of
creating software which on the box says "runs on just about any
operating system, namely..." instead of saying something like
"requires Microsoft Windows xyz".)

Greetings, Norbert.

(*) Even though I'm nowadays very much a "free software" person,
   my use of "open source" is intentional here, as this license
   addendum seems to specifically address something that is
   encouraged by the open source philosophy but discouraged by
   the free software philosophy.