Re: [DotGNU]pnetlib and the VRS, SEE and other server concepts

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]pnetlib and the VRS, SEE and other server concepts
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 12:06:34 +0100

> I suppose I'm asking if there is a defined entry point to webservices, (
> main(a,b) in C springs to mind ) ??? Hmm, do I really mean entry point?  How
> about invocation method? (where method refers to both the entry point and
> mechanism by which the webservice is invoked).

It's pretty standard to use an XML-based protocol such as
XML-RPC, SOAP, .... over TCP/IP.  AFAIK there's no clear
de-facto standard yet on how exactly things are handled at
the receiving end.

> I'm just thinking from a portability issue.  Joe Bloggs writes some ditty in
> C# on M$ .net and then decides to deploy within the dotGNU environment... If
> the invocation procedures differ, then there will be trouble.

Joe will use something from Microsoft's C# class libs.  Those
classes which he uses will also exist in the class libs that
come with DotGNU, and need to be implemented to do the right
things, whatever those right things turn out to be.

Here's a question for Lupus:  Since the plan seems to be for
DotGNU to use Mono's higher-level C# class libs, how do we
handle cases where "do the right things" means something
different in the DotGNU context from what it means in the Mono
context?

> The next question is that of request payloads.  Are all webservices in the
> dotGNU/.net world (I talk about both because I assume we're aiming to give
> people the *choice* to use something other than M$ kit!!!) supposed to use
> XML as the payload, or is is purely application dependent?

XML is the de-facto standard, although for bigger payloads I
think it would make a lot of sense to use compressed XML.
Depending on the context, the compressed XML should possibly
also be encrypted, and it should be possible to add a digital
signature to the encrypted compressed XML.

I'd propose using the OpenPGP format and code from GnuPG for
these things.

(Obviously this applies only in cases where there's another
DotGNU system at the other end.  For all other situations we
need to support whatever is supported at the other end).

> If I can get these concepts/procedures sorted out I'll bung them in a FAQ
> type thing

Sounds great.

> - it's essential 'To Know' info for people joining dotGNU from
> other disciplines, particularly if they are 'service' based
> too.... like me!

Definately, this kind of thing will be helpful.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A founder of the http://DotGNU.org project and Steering Committee member
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com