Re: [Vrs-development] Re: [DotGNU]pnetlib and the VRS, SEE and other ser

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] Re: [DotGNU]pnetlib and the VRS, SEE and other server concepts
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 07:36:07 +0100

Bill Lance <address@hidden> wrote:

>> http://subscribe.dotgnu.org/mailman/htdig/arch/2002-January/000286.html

> Hi Norbert,
> I've read thru that thread.  Most intersting.
> Did it develop any further with Vladimir?

Unfortunately I haven't heard from him again since then.
I'll send him another email and ask.

> It also raises a question that I've been struggling
> with,  ... running on MS environments.
>
> I can certainly understand the logic of having
> something of dotgnu accessable from from the Windows
> user base, present and future.  But I am having
> difficulting understanding what CAN be implemented on
> MS.

I can't really help you with that kind of question.  The
Microsoft Windows system has always been a mystery to me.
Why can't they ship their OS with proper documentation in
the form of source code? :-)

Rhys Weatherley <address@hidden> replied:

> The hardest thing is GUI's, since every widget set has its
> own peculiarities.  The next hardest is audio and other forms
> of multimedia.  Usually it isn't worth trying to solve this
> problem unless you have something like Java AWT around
> to take care of the icky details.

But unless another project does this work for us, we'll
eventually need to address the hard issues of creating
portable free libs for these things.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A founder of the http://DotGNU.org project and Steering Committee member