Re: this affects DotGNU (was: this doesn't affect DotGNU (was Re:[DotGNU

From: Gopal.V
Subject: Re: this affects DotGNU (was: this doesn't affect DotGNU (was Re:[DotGNU]New addendum for MS redistributables))
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 22:21:58 +0530

If memory serves me right, James Michael DuPont wrote:

> One that is compiled for dot-net, but is under the older version of the End
> User licence?
> That can still be redistributed, right?

        Nope, M$ reserves the right to change its license at anytime.
AFAIK, the EULA mentions this "loophole". So legally, those copies
are also non-distributable.

        Also this addendum has been issues not for the .NET stuff, but
to prevent products like "Lindows" to resdistribute MSCVRT.dll and
similar DLLs. Wine needs a windows install (at least working DLL's)
to run -- Lindows does not (as their website says). BTW, at college
I smbmount my friends box to testrun wine with our old VB (sic) apps.