Re: [DotGNU]PHILOSOPHY file

From: S11001001
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]PHILOSOPHY file
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 16:36:23 -0600

Daniel Carrera wrote:
Free Software and Open Source Software *are* the same thing.
(http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html)

It is the movement philosophies that differ, not the software licensing.

I agree totally on this point <http://subscribe.dotgnu.org/pipermail/developers/2002-March/002545.html>.

BTW the threaded archives for March haven't updated since the 21st.

Also, in the PHILOSOPHY file, I would suggest using the terms "Liberated"
and "Software Freedom" whenever possible.  These carry all the meaning of
"Free Software" without the ambiguity.

I think that might be too drastic a step. FS has used the same name the whole time, and changing that name is an extreme step, like releasing a new version of the GPL ;)

I remember someone mentioning about how Free had a vague meaning, but there is nothing to be done about this. Also, it serves as a good index of how many people actually know about FS; if you say it, and they think you are referring to 0-cost, then they haven't; if you say it, and they know what you are talking about, or try to show how smart and in-the-know they are by mentioning GNU, they have heard of it.

Apologies for my ridiculous gender avoidance in the above paragraph.

--
Shoot me again.
Just proving that the quickest way to solve the problem is to post a