Re: [DotGNU][Slightly OT] Dyndns over Jabber

From: Charlie Carnow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU][Slightly OT] Dyndns over Jabber
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 21:22:01 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Gopal V wrote:

> So "gopal.<my_dyndns>.org" will be resolved as the IP of the
> guy jabbering as "gopal@<my_dyndns>.org"
        I think we should make a dyndns component. A person that wanted
there domain would register with dyndns.<jabber server> giving some
information about the domain, definettly an IP address, as well as
if we decide to, information revelent to a who-is query. The component
would subscribe to the presence of all who register. For example
if address@hidden registers with dyndns component at dyndns.dotgnu.org
dyndns.dotgnu.org will then subscribe to his presence. The IP and other
info in the register process will be saved. When an browse request is
sent to gopal.dyndns.dotgnu.org if address@hidden is still there it will
return a tag contaning a reference to the ns dyndns:ip. The client can
then send a request for dyndns:ip and the dyndns:ip information will
contain the ip of gopal.dyndns.dotgnu.org. If there is no presence
information for gopal.dyndns.dotgnu.org it will return an error
description saying the ip address is not avaible right now. If
address@hidden logs off, the IP address the component has will be
erased. When address@hidden logs back on to Jabber, the component will
send a message requesting it to make a auth query which will send the
component a new IP. If a jabber user that just wants to get ip addresses
for a dynamic dns address you could design a situation where a human-user
sends a jabber:iq:oob qualifed request with the <url> tag containing the
url and the desc tag being empty, to a jabber non-component application
which would then send the ip through jabber:iq:oob. We could set up our
applications to get IP's this way.

Just a though,
Charlie Carnow