Re: [DotGNU][Slightly OT] Dyndns over Jabber

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: Re: [DotGNU][Slightly OT] Dyndns over Jabber
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 08:17:24 -0400

I *think* I go along with this.  I would say that the idea
isn't just to have dotgnu.org provide dyndns, but anybody
running dotgnu on their machine can -- which I don't think
Charlie's contradicting.  Also, the basic idea doesn't
require presence -- you just basically provide an
authoritative resolver so anybody can get a universally
unique domain name -- and then you can run anything you want
on that domain name.  Each dynamic domain can then handle
requests themselves just like ordinary web servers.

I'm hearing two different ideas -- one, creating a kind of
"space" that supports a number of locations familiar to it,
facilitating presence of some sort; and another, which is
basically just providing DNS resolution.  The
presence-oriented idea might entail tags such as described
here, but the basic dyndns idea wouldn't need that, and
would just hook into the standard DNS resolution process.

Seth Johnson

--

[CC] Counter-copyright:
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/cc/cc.html