Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU awareness article

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU awareness article
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 20:40:18 +0530

If memory serves me right, Timothy Rue wrote:
>  GV> But of course , DotGNU Portable.Net FAQ does mention Mono, which
>  GV> IMHO is the equivalent of what mono does ...
>
> You're funny. :)

I intended it to be funny ... :) ... Sooner or later somebody says
something that starts a flamewar about this ... Humor is the only
flameproof suit I can afford ;-)

> As to the comment "we were here first" doesn't make the question
> irrelevant but only leads to, at worse, another question. I've heard of
> Mono, but I haven't heard of DotGNU, are you guys just being quiet or
> secretive about it?

DotGNU started out as an alternative for the Services part of .NET and
has successively degraded to the implementation of ECMA standards . There
were a lot of revolutionary ideas like SEE , VRS and a number of DotGNU-Auth
systems ... But the developement in these seem to have slowed down in
recent times ..

About Portable.Net , we have a freshmeat registrationfor you to keep track
of releases . We've had a number of announcements by GNU and also have made
headlines in most of the news sites ... Ever since Norbert Bollow has
been "missing" , our PR wing has been practically dead. But I had in fact,
organized 2 meet-a-thons each of 36 hour duration on IRC this year. And
we (due to many factors) are totally out of the talks & lecture circuit.
And we do not have the reputation and weight Ximian carries .... and
we cannot afford to pay for working on this .... We can't hire . So
people tend to take us less seriously when looking for a "solution"..

Any solutions to this ?

> seeing it as....... "I'm a dumb user" hehehe...

Hmm.. I'd better improve my English ... I'm not catching the subtle
hints people drop .. And at 8x8 pixels , it's hard to read between the
lines ;-)

> Now that's something to include in the DotGNU awareness article...
> Arrogance :) lol... (or maybe there was some other reason you missed the
> point?)

People ask "Why did you start Portable.Net when there's mono ?" ... and
more often than not, I restrain myself from spilling the entire story
of how or why Rhys did not ... But that's beyond (is) the point.

> Gopal, I was semi-role playing in order to present a perspective of an
> uninformed party so that it might more clearly be seen what to include.

Ok, Tim I get you ... Well I have lost perspective as a user .. and
there's no way I can get it back :-( ...

Thanks for your insightful & critical ;) remarks ,
Gopal