Re: [DotGNU]UnManaged Pointers stuff (was: Weekend Warriors)

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]UnManaged Pointers stuff (was: Weekend Warriors)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 07:05:37 +1000

Gopal V wrote:

> If memory serves me right, Jonathan P Springer wrote:
> > See attached patch.  It fixes some problems in my last patch and adds
> > binary equality and inequality operators for unmanaged pointers.
> > IntPtr.cs compiles with it; whether it works remains to be seen.  I
> > desk-checked the IL output from the compiler, but haven't tried running
> > it through the engine at full bore yet.
>
> In CVS .
>
> Cannot run it in the engine , as the engine seems to complain about
> verfication , eventhough it has the UnverfiableCode Attribute set ..

UnveriableCode means nothing in pnet.  It exists to notify
MS'es CLR about the presence of "unsafe" constructs.  It does
not turn off the verifier.  Nothing turns off the verifier
in pnet - but it may act in different modes depending upon
how the assembly is loaded.

> ildasm of pnet/samples/mscorlib.dll used a conv.u before stfld of void * ,
> cscc gives a conv.i , butI think that is a non-issue ? .. (the type is
> immaterial right ?)

conv.i and conv.u are handled differently with respect to
how int32 values are sign-extended or zero-extended to
native int.  Doesn't matter on a 32-bit platform, but it
definitely does matter on a 64-bit platform.