Re: [DotGNU]UnManaged Pointers stuff (was: Weekend Warriors)

From: Fergus Henderson
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]UnManaged Pointers stuff (was: Weekend Warriors)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 13:00:25 +1000

On 16-Oct-2002, Rhys Weatherley <address@hidden> wrote:

> UnveriableCode means nothing in pnet.  It exists to notify
> MS'es CLR about the presence of "unsafe" constructs.  It does
> not turn off the verifier.  Nothing turns off the verifier
> in pnet - but it may act in different modes depending upon
> how the assembly is loaded.

That seems like a bad design.  Running the verifier is a waste of time
if the code is known to be unverifiable.  Checking the unverifiable code
attribute is surely going to be a lot faster than running the verifier,
isn't it?

BTW, I assume there is a way to run unverifiable code in pnet, right?
If so, what is it?  Is plain "ilrun foo.exe" enough?
There doesn't seem to be any option to ilrun which would specify
whether or not it's OK to run unverifiable code.

P.S. The Mercury compiler's .NET back-end currently generates unverifiable
code.  There's an option to generate verifiable code, but it is not yet
fully implemented, and will result in slower code.

--
Fergus Henderson <address@hidden>  |  "I have always known that the pursuit