Re: [DotGNU]Reminder - Weekly DotGNU Meeting

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Reminder - Weekly DotGNU Meeting
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 08:10:07 +1000

Gopal V wrote:

> *) Parrot support for Cscc ?
>
>       I have read the Cola compiler code and other
>       details, to be relatively sure that the transition
>       is possible. The so-called Stack to Register
>       transition is relatively easy for Cscc (compared
>       to gcc) as we can hack the ILNode_GenValue to
>       work here as well. Because ILNode_GenValue does
>       not assume stack or register model ... (or so
>       I understand).

ILNode_GenValue assumes that it is generating IL, which is
stack-based.  We need new node operations like "ParrotGenDiscard",
"ParrotGenValue", etc.

I was looking into Parrot quite extensively yesterday.  The
register issue does come into play.  With IL/JVM, the code
generator can assume that the values for sub-expressions are
on the stack, in the required order.  With Parrot, we need
some way for a sub-expression node to say "I evaluated the
value and put it into register P4".

The Parrot guys are aware of this weekend's meetings and will
try to make it to either the first or the second.  I urge everyone
who can to attend both meetings this weekend.