Re: [DotGNU]Working Groups plan v2

From: Peter Minten
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Working Groups plan v2
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 09:29:34 -0400

"Mario D. Santana" wrote:

> Peter,
>
> I like your proposal very much. It sounds like basic idea is that,
> contrary to "common sense," the DotGNU SC can gain power by delegating
> it. It reminds me of some of the better arguments from The Mythical
> Man-Month.
>
> A few questions: Will the WG's be responsible for their own organization?

I believe the best thing would be to have some uniformity in organization but
too much. It's hard to say where uniformity should be however. The best thing
might be too use the DotGNU WG to keep organizations a little uniform.

> How will the WG's formalize their goals and milestones, and report on
> their progress?

I'd say webpages with targets (some of them marked as milestones) like Chris
Smith proposed. These webpages could also contain the goals. By using that
system it's easy enough to report on WG progress, when a target is reached
progress is made.

It's probably best to set up these webpages for all WG's in a central location
(like the DotGNU website). That will also make it easier to have a uniform
appearance for all WG's.

WG's will also need mailing lists. The Auth, Arch, Biz and PR WG's have
mailing
lists already. I propose that the Philosophy and Webservices WG's will get a
separate mailing lists too. The Pnet-and-Libs WG however is a bit tricky. It
would be most coherent to give it it's own ML too and to use dg-dev only for
matters that affect DotGNU as a whole, however I suspect some resistance to
that.

Greetings,

Peter