Re: best Dam*ed development environment revisited (was Re: [DotGNU]Worki

From: Eric Altendorf
Subject: Re: best Dam*ed development environment revisited (was Re: [DotGNU]Working Groups plan v2)
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 14:51:36 -0700

On Friday 18 October 2002 13:17, Charles Shuller wrote:
> Do we have anyone making
> industry contacts?  Do we actively seek partners with persons who
> will be most interested in .net, and explain why our implementation
> will be better?  Or better yet, ask them how our implementation
> could be made better?  I know everyone has heard of .net, but
> almost no one knows about dotgnu, and I have to slap them when they
> scoff at the idea :)

The problem is that DotGNU is still very prototypical.  I tell people
I'm working on it, and I encourage them to help and keep it in mind,
but I don't tell them to download it and try it out.  Honestly, if we
at this moment advertise ourselves as an alternative to .NET, we're
going to shoot ourselves, because everyone's going to see what we
have so far and laugh and forget about us.  I think we need to
develop a little more maturity; something relatively complete that
can actually run and do something cool.

Don't take this the wrong way; I think what we've accomplished is
great.  But think about it from the point of view of someone outside.
What we have is quite honestly very very far from any kind of
coherent, built, complete system.  We have some impressive tools
partially developed, and some neat ideas on the drawing board, but
that's not going to get us anywhere without a MS-caliber Vaporware
Hype Department.  :-(

Eric

--
"First they ignore you.  Then they laugh at you.
 Then they fight you.  And then you win."             -Gandhi