Re: Like GNUTELLA + CSDOC? (was [DotGNU]Working Groups plan v2)

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: Like GNUTELLA + CSDOC? (was [DotGNU]Working Groups plan v2)
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 23:20:34 -0700 (PDT)

--- Eric Altendorf <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thursday 17 October 2002 23:22, James Michael DuPont wrote:
> > An author would serve the code that he writes, or give it to a
> > preferred server, that would replicate over the net as needed.
> > Any classes that are published into the system, I would say the
> > important parts of all the major GNU tools would be a great start.
> > You might ask, who is calling this function? What fields are
> > provided by class X? What classes have a field like Y? what methods
> > access varible z?  What classes are in package U?
>
> OK, so it is essentially an automated, distributed, p2p documentation
>
> tool -- like JavaDoc crossed with, as you say, Gnutella?  That
> actually is a pretty cool idea...  :-)

Yes. That is basically what it is.
Good point:
Take the csdoc tool for example and pump all the docs into a gnutella
network. Of course you need csdoc to dump out some more information
about what the functions are doing, who they use and what fields are
used. The search mechanisms of gnutella are not enough, because the
structure of these proposed documents is much higher.....

Also this infomation will be very usefull to the Wiz-Bang IDE tools we
are discussing in the other thread.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont