Re: [DotGNU]RFC : [Proposals]ILAutoStubber Proposal

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]RFC : [Proposals]ILAutoStubber Proposal
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 20:32:25 +0530

If memory serves me right, Rhys Weatherley wrote:
> In any case, we already have an auto-stubber of sorts that Gopal wrote:
> "csdoc2stub".  This takes an XML description of the module as input.  What is

csdoc2stub will require XML input which is essentially from the ECMA
All.xml files. This format is not used by MS.NET , so cannot be misused
as a decompiler.

Also I think csdoc is a much better option because there is no direct
binary handling !.

> currently missing is a program to convert an IL binary into XML first, which
> is one of the things on my list for the next few days.

May I suggest that we build a C# program which uses Reflection for this ?.
That would solve a lot of issues related to "reverse-engineering" claims.
Running the APP on various runtimes would provide the All.xml file rather
than binary processing.

The need for this program is to produce a better pnetlib-status output
rather than for stubbing. Pnetlib-status needs a new non-Ecma-all.xml to
give a true picture of what's missing.

I'll give it a shot , and if it's not done by the time you wake up .. you
can take it off me .

Gopal