Re: [DotGNU]RFC : [Proposals]ILAutoStubber Proposal

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]RFC : [Proposals]ILAutoStubber Proposal
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 11:56:30 -0800 (PST)

--- Gopal V <address@hidden> wrote:
> If memory serves me right, Rhys Weatherley wrote:
> > In any case, we already have an auto-stubber of sorts that Gopal
> wrote:
> > "csdoc2stub".  This takes an XML description of the module as
> input.  What is
>
> csdoc2stub will require XML input which is essentially from the ECMA
> All.xml files. This format is not used by MS.NET , so cannot be
> misused
> as a decompiler.
>
> Also I think csdoc is a much better option because there is no direct
>
> binary handling !.
>
> > currently missing is a program to convert an IL binary into XML
> first, which
> > is one of the things on my list for the next few days.
>
> May I suggest that we build a C# program which uses Reflection for
> this ?.

That is a very good idea !

In fact, this would solve alot of problems.

but there is a big problem with this :
you need to link to the non-free lib and have it available to run this
process.

> That would solve a lot of issues related to "reverse-engineering"
> claims.

I dont agree with your conclusion.
Any automatic transformation is a process. Derived works are the the
output of copyrighted input.

You seemed to miss my entire argument for the ILStubberConstruct,
please reread it. ;)

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont