Re: [DotGNU]GUI, System.Drawing and custom widgets

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]GUI, System.Drawing and custom widgets
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 18:47:00 +0530

If memory serves me right, Rhys Weatherley wrote:
> Don't look at me.  I was planning to nick the algorithm from somewhere and
> hope for the best. :-)

The problem is not the bezier drawing algorithm itself ... it's the
interpolation method ...

> The only note that I have at this point is that it usually isn't a good idea
> to pass a large number of lines or points to an X draw request, since it will
> max out and blow up at some point.

k, that's a bad habit acquired from too much bgi work :-) ... generally
there I try to draw all we can during a screen retrace (and time it with
ticks) .

> Here is a simple recursive algorithm, based on decomposing the Bezier into
> sub-Beziers, which may be easier and faster to implement using only integer
> arithmetic (see page 3):
>
> http://www.cc.gatech.edu/classes/AY2003/cs4451_spring/bezierdraw.pdf
>
> Give it a try and see if it helps.

Yus I'll implement De Casteljaeo ... especially since ARM does not support
the floats directly .. But that does not solve the essential problem.

As you might have read , that too is a cubic equation ... and takes 4
parameters ... So we again b0rk up on encountering 6 elements.

It's the System.Drawing.Graphics stuff that needs fixing , not the
ToolkitGraphicsBase .

But it's not a big priority :-)

Gopal