dotgnu-libs-devel

[Dotgnu-libs-devel] Re: DotGNU Libraries (dotgnu-libs) on Savannah

From: Gopal V
Subject: [Dotgnu-libs-devel] Re: DotGNU Libraries (dotgnu-libs) on Savannah
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 19:19:24 +0530

If memory serves me right, Andrew Mitchell wrote:
> modules be in the DotGNU.x or the dotgnu.x namespace?

I vote for dotgnu.x (as I'm from the java school of namespaces)

>  Each module should follow a consistent build system,

Yes !!! ... I'll fix up csant with autotools soon on dotgnu.xml

> have API documentation that can be put online in either a
> dotgnu-libs section of dotgnu.org|info

Like pnetlib-doc :-)

>  Either way, this website or section should also contain things like coding
> standards, licensing information, and a general description of the contents.

/me remembers the coding standards document he prepared looong ago ...

>  We also need to agree on proper licensing for libraries in dotgnu-libs, ie
> whether all are to be LGPL, or some GPL, GPL+LE, etc.

LGPL for ECMA wrappers and wrappers of LGPL/X11/APL.... libs
GPL for wrappers for GPL'd libraries (readline ?)

These are standards , IMHO ...

GPL+LE can be ignored for now as we are coding more in C# than in C,
but when we develop a fast vector library or something like that which
depends totally on native components (and not external libraries) ,
we should use GPL+LE to protect the native part as well. An example of
this would be a new Windowing toolkit developed for C# , using XF86 ..
(ie not a wrapper .. but a new library in C+C#)

Gopal