dotgnu-libs-devel

[Dotgnu-libs-devel] Re: DotGNU Libraries (dotgnu-libs) on Savannah

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: [Dotgnu-libs-devel] Re: DotGNU Libraries (dotgnu-libs) on Savannah
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 15:21:10 +0200

>  We need to sort out some proper standards for naming, documenting, and other
> relevant things for libraries that fit in dotgnu-libs. For example, shall
> modules be in the DotGNU.x or the dotgnu.x namespace?

Or Gnu.* ?

(Yes, I'm a lazy hacker :-)

> It will not be good to
> have some modules as dotgnu.rpc, for example, while others are DotGNU.IO
>  We may have a certain amount of overlap with DotGNU-Base, which is included
> in dotgnu-libs.

Yes.  Decide on something, and then stick to it.

>  Each module should follow a consistent build system, such as
> the one proposed by Rhys, and have API documentation that can
> be put online in either a dotgnu-libs section of
> dotgnu.org|info, or using the www.gnu.org/software/dotgnu-libs
> space so generously provided to us.

Yes.

>  Either way, this website or section should also contain things like coding
> standards, licensing information, and a general description of the contents.
>  Currently there are a number of admins listed for dotgnu-libs - I've been
> waiting for savannah & fencepost to be fixed up so that I can add a mailing
> list for administration. For now, we'll use the main DotGNU list :)
>  We also need to agree on proper licensing for libraries in dotgnu-libs, ie
> whether all are to be LGPL, or some GPL, GPL+LE, etc.

Generally use GPL for libs that provide functionality which is
not easily available anywhere else, i.e. stuff that is nice
enough to be a reason for someone to put their code under GPL.

Use LGPL for other libs, unless if there is a specific reason
why LGPL isn't appropriate, in which case you can start thinking
about GPL+LE.

I think the really good libs which should be GPL'd rather than
LGPL'd should be outside the dotgnu-libs package anyway.  So I
think it's safe to say that everything in the dotgnu-libs
package will be under LGPL.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Founder & Steering Committee member of http://www.gnu.org/projects/dotgnu/
Norbert Bollow, Weidlistr.18, CH-8624 Gruet     (near Zurich, Switzerland)