Re: [Pnet-developers] A few SWF ideas

From: Ilyak
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] A few SWF ideas
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 16:38:33 +0300

Rhys Weatherley wrote:

1) All attempts to implement windows-like file selection "suffer" from
the fact hierachery is different
In windows File Selection we have:
Desktop
- My Documents
- My Computer
-  A:
-  C:
-  D:
and so on.
wine and pnetlib SWF file selection offers to me:
/home/ilyak
/home
/
(and, rarely, some previously visited)
One of the missing features in the file dialog is a pseudo "start" directory containing useful jumping off points.

Apporaches: (&&)
- We list current dir and all top-levels (like currently)
- We list home and mountpoints
- We list jusr some user-defined points
- We list history
- We have KDE or Gnome desktop and it contains links in one format or another, and we list those links

oh... we really need to have some sort of registry to keep configuration data in cases 3, 4, and 5.
will there be something like registry in pnet, btw?

Under Windows, this would be the usual directories and drives that you list. Under Unix, it would probably contain $HOME, $HOME/Documents, /, and maybe some selected mount points like /mnt/floppy and /mnt/cdrom.
I likely need all mountpoints except /usr, /proc and such... this should be configurable somehow.

If someone would like to investigate this, then be my guest. Adding new icons for special-purpose directories shouldn't be difficult. The "start"
directory can be handled as special cases in "ScanDirectory",
"ChangeDirectory", "UpOneLevel", etc.  The "start" directory will show up
internally as a list of symlinks to the jumping off points.

Will think about that...

I think it will be anyway useful to list mountpoints, even if as last position and collapsed by default. Ability to mount them from this dialog (if they're removable) is interesting to, i beleive. But it's somewhat distant future.

) Add  toggle button to hide/show hidden files (those started with
`.'). Will help a LOT!
(this is painful both if they are hidden always and if they are shown
always)
Another useful feature.

I will try to implement it by myself.

Pixmap wanted.

P.S. Thinking about mounts - how about hierachery DotGNU.Unix.*?
Where we can put mount related, db related, fs permissions related stuff and such...