Re: [Pnet-developers] A few SWF ideas

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] A few SWF ideas
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 07:59:02 +1000

On Tuesday 03 February 2004 11:38 pm, Ilyak wrote:

> Apporaches: (&&)
> - We list current dir and all top-levels (like currently)
> - We list home and mountpoints
> - We list jusr some user-defined points
> - We list history
> - We have KDE or Gnome desktop and it contains links in one format or
> another, and we list those links
>
> oh... we really need to have some sort of registry to keep configuration
> data in cases 3, 4, and 5.
> will there be something like registry in pnet, btw?

There are registry routines in mscorlib (Microsoft.Win32 namespace), but they
aren't present in all profiles (ECMA, compact, etc don't have them), so you
cannot rely upon them for storing data.

I don't think we should get too fancy with the file dialog.  If it works for
the most common usage scenarios, then super-configurability isn't really
worth the effort.  99% of winforms programs that need a file dialog need it
solely in the "select me a file and tell me what it is" mode.  So, let's make
that work first.

I suggest that you get the "start" directory working first, with a fixed list
of likely jumping off points, and then worry about configurability later.

And please keep in mind that we're building a file *dialog*, not a file
*manager*.  Too many other projects (e.g. KDE) have fallen into the trap of
building a dialog that is more complicated than is actually necessary to
solve the problem.  File management is a complicated problem, which does not
belong in the "select me a file" functionality that 99% of apps need in a
file dialog.  IMHO, of course.

Cheers,

Rhys.