Re: [Pnet-developers] A few SWF ideas

From: Ilyak Kasnacheev
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] A few SWF ideas
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 01:29:08 +0300

> > Apporaches: (&&)
> > - We list current dir and all top-levels (like currently)
> > - We list home and mountpoints
> > - We list jusr some user-defined points
> > - We list history
> > - We have KDE or Gnome desktop and it contains links in one format or
> > another, and we list those links
> > oh... we really need to have some sort of registry to keep configuration
> > data in cases 3, 4, and 5.
> > will there be something like registry in pnet, btw?
> There are registry routines in mscorlib (Microsoft.Win32 namespace), but
> they aren't present in all profiles (ECMA, compact, etc don't have them),
> so you cannot rely upon them for storing data.
OK

> I don't think we should get too fancy with the file dialog.  If it works
> for the most common usage scenarios, then super-configurability isn't
> really worth the effort.  99% of winforms programs that need a file dialog
> need it solely in the "select me a file and tell me what it is" mode.  So,
> let's make that work first.
OK i will consider that.

> I suggest that you get the "start" directory working first, with a fixed
> list of likely jumping off points, and then worry about configurability
> later.
> And please keep in mind that we're building a file *dialog*, not a file
> *manager*.  Too many other projects (e.g. KDE) have fallen into the trap of
> building a dialog that is more complicated than is actually necessary to
> solve the problem.  File management is a complicated problem, which does
> not belong in the "select me a file" functionality that 99% of apps need in
> a file dialog.  IMHO, of course.
Well, but it is used every hour, so it should be comfortable!
Even if simple, it should be easy and fast to use.

BTW: I have tried to make 2nd change against cvs pnet&pnetlib, and got:
FileDialogForm::ChangeDirectory [17011] - ldfld at verify_obj.c:365
zsh: segmentation fault  samples/forms/ImageViewer.exe
is that bug or feature? I guess i did something very lame, but anyway.

File attached.