Re: [Duplicity-talk] Proposal of new feature

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Proposal of new feature
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 10:40:15 -0600

Stefan Hoth wrote:
> Hello Ken and all the others,
>
> first of all: Great job again with the new version, runs very smooth.
>
> Now to the real reason of my mail: I was wondering if it would be
> possible to arrange a quota for every backup-location.
>
> My intention would be to keep as many backups as possible but without
> exceeding the backup space. This way I would be much more flexible when
> trying to restore older files.
>
> What do you think, would this be possible?

It's possible -- we know the amount of data on the system as soon as we
do the first operation, list().  What we don't know is how much we're
going to put on the system.  We would not want to just stop the backup
mid-stream to enforce a quota, so the only option would be to delete old
backups to get room.  Is that what you would envision?

Such an action could have unintended consequences, say you remove all
your previous full backups and this one fails.  Not sure you would want
to do that at all, in fact I'm fairly certain you would not want that.

So, yes this could be done.  Do we really want to?