Re: [Duplicity-talk] Proposal of new feature

From: Richard Scott
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Proposal of new feature
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 19:32:37 -0000 (UTC)

> (BACKGROUND: For my webserver I got a seperate ftp account on another
> server for backup purposes only. Since I often change configuration files and
> have several services
> running on this server I would prefer going back in time as far as possible
> if a problem occurs to
> check the prexistence of it. Of course keeping old logs is also useful many
> times. So I want to
> fill up the space with my backups without setting a certain timelimit. I just
> want to have a
> secure backup with a little more comfort.)

Hi,

I've read the recent emails about quotas and I don't really see the point of
adding quota support
to duplicity as I don't see how quota's will help if your running short on
space?

IMHO if you want to keep older backups then by definition you need more disk
space.

Duplicity will only backup data that has changed since the last full archive,
so perhaps your
answer is to only do one full archive and the rest as incrementals? That way
only data that has
changed will be on your remote site.

Ken, would that work well if you only ever did one full backup at the start of
your backup routine
and then only ever did incremental backups?

Cheers,

Rich

p.s. Thanks for fixing the signatures problems I was having with my deletion of
local signature
files. They are downloading nicely from the remote site :-) ....it looks to be
working really well
now.