Re: [Duplicity-talk] Newbie/General Questions

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Newbie/General Questions
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 22:59:53 +0100

On 04.12.2011 22:37, SanskritFritz wrote:
On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 2:01 PM, email builder<address@hidden>  wrote:
SNIP
2) When run with simple default, umm, to what GPG recipient does
the data get encrypted??  I am confused by this missing info.

I dont understand this question.

if no --encrypt-key is give duplicity will assume you want to encrypt
symmetrically. to disable encryption use --no-encryption .

a) I saw something about "symmetric encryption" and just learned for
the first time that GPG can do symmetric encryption.  In this case,
are you prompted for the passphrase interactively?  Can that be
automated (so it can be run from cron)?

Yes, it is interactive, and well, with some (ugly) hacking it is
possible to run from cron, but this is what asymmetric encryption is
for.

not ugly at all . simply deliver the env var PASSPHRASE see man page chapter
env vars.
b) Is using --encrypt-key the way I can make duplicity use Asymmetric
encryption?  In this case, does it use the public key from the current
user's keyring?

I'll let others answer this, I use a wrapper for duplicity which hides
such details from me.

yes as described above.
use --gpg-options to pass options to gpg (see gpg manpage), like a different
keyring. duplicity internally call command line gpg, hence all gpg defaults
apply to duplicity.

3) I'm a little confused by the concept of "sets" and the need to
remove sets of a certain age, etc.  My goal is to find a way to back
up some user data in its current state, no need to keep track of the
historical state of that data.... well, as long as it takes extra storage,
which I assume it does, yes?

There is no need to remove any sets. But after a while your chain of
sets will be pretty long, which makes it slow to restore any data.
Hence it is recommended to do full backups time to time, and delete
old sets after. Having said that, I never do that, I always keep all
my backups, and duplicity handles it just fine :)

that's standard backup methodology. backups should protect from accidential
deletion or hidden data corruption as well, which you might notice as late as
after several backups.
a) Is there a way to do what I thought traditional rsync does - just
keep a mirror of my current data and no historical information?  What
options do I need to do this?

That is what rsync is for, right? Duplicity cannot mirror AFAIK, it
packs your files into archive sets.

check rdiffdir which comes with duplicity. it is unfortunately not encrypted.

SNIP

4) Tips on good backup locations... anyone used duplicity with
box.net or similar services?

Yes, I used webdav, works great. You may also try mydrive.ch, it
offers 2GB with unlimited traffic. I do regular backups on it via
webdav. There were some problems with webdav in the past, seems all
bugs affecting webdav are now ironed out. Keep in mind, webdav server
implementations dont follow the standards exactly, hence expect
hitches sometimes.

there are currently problems with box.net afaik .. all current backends can be
considered stable, there is a new one in the pipeline for rapidshare.
generally you should set up your backup work flow and do regular verification
and some restores in the starting period to check if everything checks out.

remember, a backup is successful only after a successful restore.

Should I split this email into one for each question topic?
Yes, please. Oops, too late now :) Or is it?

nope, this would have been 8 messages.. you could have of course played around
with duplicity and gpg first to find out about a(synchronous) encryption and
passphrase prompts for yourself ;)

ede/duply.net