Re: [Duplicity-talk] Unable to connect using duplicity 0.6.18

From: Ano Nymous
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Unable to connect using duplicity 0.6.18
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:02:13 -0500

I use ssh quite often.
The charivari hostname is established in /etc/hosts.
I installed duplicity via the ubuntu ppa, it's a program I used often a few years back.
This is taken from the duplicity manpage:
duplicity /home/me scp://address@hidden/some_dir
I proceeded to run that command using both the hostname and fully qualified domain name.
It returns this error:
BackendException: ssh connection to address@hidden:22 failed: Unknown server myhost.com
That error is what I would get if I tried to ssh or scp using address@hidden:22.
From what I gather, you can't append the port like that, which is what I assume duplicity tries to do.
So, I replaced to the sshbackend.py file, created an ~/.ssh/config with everything specified, in hopes that duplicity would do something different, but to no avail.

I then proceeded to install obnam.
From the obnam manpage:
obnam backup --repository sftp://your.server/~/backups $HOME
I proceeded to run that command as written, et voila!
It does exactly what I expected it would do.

I know nothing of
paramiko, should I?
Perhaps duplicity is a bit too advanced for me.

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 10:26 AM, <address@hidden> wrote:
On 11.03.2012 15:43, Ano Nymous wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 9:35 AM, <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>
>     On 11.03.2012 15:22, Ano Nymous wrote:
>     > I'm using the duplicity ppa, so I think that file is already there, however I replaced it anyway.
>
>     please read the mail thread, the changes are explained there
>
>     > I created an appropriate ssh_config file but I still get the same results.
>     > Do I need to pass a special option to duplicity to use it?
>
>     no, but we assumed you use either
>      /etc/ssh/ssh_config
>     or
>      ~/.ssh/config
>     because charivari is no full qualified domainname.
>
>     didn't you?
>
> Yes, I did,

then:

why did you have to create a ssh_config file?

are you aware that from 0.6.18 on duplicity does not use the system ssh binary anymore but paramiko instead?

where is your ssh_config file located? what is the contents?

what is the error after you updated the sshbackend.py?

is downgrading to 0.6.17 an option?

>resolving "charivari" is definitely not the issue.

it seems to be an issue for the ssh backend of duplicity.

..ede/duply.net