Re: [Duplicity-talk] Unable to connect using duplicity 0.6.18

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Unable to connect using duplicity 0.6.18
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 17:28:54 +0100

On 11.03.2012 17:02, Ano Nymous wrote:
> I use ssh quite often.
> The charivari hostname is established in /etc/hosts.
> I installed duplicity via the ubuntu ppa, it's a program I used often a few
> years back.
> This is taken from the duplicity manpage:
> duplicity /home/me scp://address@hidden/some_dir
> I proceeded to run that command using both the hostname and fully qualified
> domain name.
> It returns this error:
> BackendException: ssh connection to address@hidden:22
> <http://address@hidden:22> failed: Unknown server myhost.com
> <http://myhost.com>
> That error is what I would get if I tried to ssh or scp using
> address@hidden:22 <http://address@hidden:22>.
> From what I gather, you can't append the port like that, which is what I
> assume duplicity tries to do.

understand this merely as informational output. internally duplicity of course
used -P for the ssh/sftp binary (until 0.6.17). For paramiko this is irrelevant
as it is no cmd line binary.

> So, I replaced to the sshbackend.py file, created an ~/.ssh/config with
> everything specified, in hopes that duplicity would do something different,
> but to no avail.

if you didn't use an ssh config file before it couldn't.

> I then proceeded to install obnam.
> From the obnam manpage:
> obnam backup --repository sftp://your.server/~/backups $HOME
> I proceeded to run that command as written, et voila!
> It does exactly what I expected it would do.

congrats, though not telling why duplicity can't resolve the hostname.

> I know nothing of paramiko, should I?
> Perhaps duplicity is a bit too advanced for me.

no, but you would have realized, if you'd read the mailing thread that the ssh
backend was completely rewritten for 0.6.18 using paramiko a ssh2 stack written
completely in python. result of that is that some things working in the past,
don't anymore.

surely we are interested to fix those, but need cooperation of users like you
to do so.

..ede/duply.net