Re: [Duplicity-talk] Using as a more efficient sync mechanism

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Using as a more efficient sync mechanism
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 08:12:07 -0500

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 7:08 AM, <address@hidden> wrote:
On 19.07.2012 12:59, Kenneth Loafman wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Konstantin Ryabitsev <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>
>     It would seem to me that using duplicity I can just do it once, on host0
>     and create "difftars" that I can distribute to host[1-9] that would only
>     contain the changes. Is there a way to take these difftars and "replay"
>     them on host[1-9] using duplicity?
>

> Good idea!  I think it would work as you said.

ken.. how do you suppose to replay them? restoring on host[1-9] would always restore the whole file, not only the changed parts.

Whoops, you are right.  There's no way just to restore the changed files.  I spoke too soon.  Duplicity would try to restore all of the files, not just the changes, and that would be a lot worse than rsync.  I wonder what I was thinking...